Tuesday, January 8, 2013

We Wish You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

For the first eleven years of our marriage, Ryan and I have switched back and forth between families for the Christmas holidays. Christmas 2012 was our first year alone and we absolutely loved it. Not that we don't love our families, but we were so excited to start having our own family traditions, not to mention the kids were getting a little old for us to still be trying to transport Christmas back and forth.  We did still get the needed family time, Grandma and Grandpa Kuhn came up and spent the weekend before Christmas with us, and Grandma and Grandpa Larsen came up for a few days the day after Christmas. It was so nice to have our parents and come and spent time with us in our new city.

On Christmas Eve, a sweet family in our ward invited us to their house for Christmas dinner. There were several families there and a ton of food. We were able to sit down for a traditional Christmas dinner, the kids were able to play together, and we read the story of Christ's birth from the scriptures. It was a lovely night.

On Christmas Even night, Ryan and I laid in bed completely giddy. I think we were more excited for Christmas morning than the kids. We knew our kids were going to be thrilled the next morning and we were excited to begin all of the traditions we had planned with the kids.

Now, prepare for a plethora of pictures.


Mia, our four year old going on sixteen. Desperately wanted boots for Christmas. She was so excited when she opened them. I think she wore them for several days no matter what she was wearing.
Notice the sweet hair do. One pigtail in and one out.


Izzy is starting her first season of softball this year. She was thrilled to get her glove.


The coveted Giants World Series sweatshirt. I think I see this on him every other day. Pretty soon, it is going to start walking on its own.


Ryan and I decided to take the trampoline plunge this year. Santa brought the big trampoline as a present for all three of the kids this year. Our neighbor stored the boxes in his garage, several weeks before Christmas (very kind of him, since there were two 75 lb boxes). On Christmas Eve night that same awesome neighbor and the two Senior Missionaries came over and helped Ryan build the trampoline in the dark. The missionaries had a great time, they said it reminded them of the year Santa brought their kids a trampoline. While they were in the back they could hear the Christmas anticipation occurring  When we returned from Christmas Eve dinner, my kids were beside themselves because Buddy the Elf, had moved while we were gone. He was now stationed in front of the fireplace holding a sign that said, "Welcome Santa." Then they checked out the computer to see where Santa was, when Ryan informed them Santa had been to New York, Mia proceeded to scream, "Santa's in our country, Santa's in our country!" It was then a whirlwind of putting on pajamas, brushing teeth, and putting out cookies for Santa. All mixed in with a lot of giggling and jumping. Once they were in bed Ryan snuck outside to complete the trampoline. Thanks to our Elves they had it up in about an hour and a half.
Now, I have to make a confession that is going to make me sound like the absolute worst mother on earth. There was this part of me that couldn't wait to have my kids come out Christmas morning and panic that Santa hadn't brought them anything... I know.... I'm awful.  However, my kids are better than I give them credit for. They woke up at 6:30, pretty decent time. In Visalia we get a lot of fog so it is still pretty dark at this time. When we came out in the living room I realized the kids might not see the trampoline right outside the living room window, but we had them come out and hoped for the best.


Mia comes out and goes straight for her stocking.  The other two you can tell are looking around wondering where there presents are, but say nothing.


They dug into their stockings and were super excited about everything. Mia even screamed over her "Brave" underwear.  They spent about thirty minutes going through their stockings and still said nothing, no tears, no fits, no asking where their presents were.  When they were done and sat down to open the presents under the tree, Ryan and I looked at each other wondering what we were supposed to do. After a while I looked out the window and said, "What the?" They looked at me and said, "What mom?" I pointed out the window and said, "What is that?"  All three of them jumped up and looked out the window and in unison screamed, "IT'S A  TRAMPOLINE," and then bolted out the back door.


Unfortunately, it was so cold they didn't last very long. Throughout the entire day, they would play with their toys for thirty minutes and then go out and jump until they couldn't feel their feet anymore. It was awesome. Ryan and I were thrilled that we had found something they would love so much.

When they came back in from their first trampoline outing I asked Landon, "How come you didn't say anything when there were no presents from Santa under the tree?" He looked at me and shrugged his shoulder, "I don't know, I thought maybe I hadn't been very good this year."
I have the best kids ever. How many kids would come out Christmas morning and not say a word when the presents they expected weren't there? There were definitely some naughty moments this year, but they were dang good kids too.


 Ryan and I are not huge turkey dinner fans. It's so much work for food Ryan and I really don't care that much for. So for years Ryan and I have always said when we were on our own we would come up with our own Christmas dinner tradition. While trying to decide what this meal should be this year, Ryan gave suggestions like tacos and hamburgers. I explained to him that it had to be a meal that we don't normally eat, so that it would still be a special meal. Eventually, after many of Ryan's ideas were vetoed, we agreed on a three course fondue dinner. The kids LOVED it. They are constantly begging us to do it again  and I remind them that this is going to be our Christmas tradition.
It was a wonderful and relaxing day of playing with toys, jumping on the trampoline, playing together, watching new movies, eating good food, and laughing. It was everything Ryan and I had hoped it would be.


The past several years my friends and I have planned really fun adult only New Years parties, but this year we decided to do a kids party. My kids are finally getting old enough that I can't get away with putting them to bed at normal time after a special dinner. 

We had each of the kids pick their favorite treat, snack, or appetizer and we made a buffet in the kitchen. This alone was exciting to the kids to be able to walk in and out of the kitchen any time they wanted and eat whatever they wanted. Every hour a different mom was in charge of some form of entertainment for the kids. I went first and did a series of "Minute to Win It" games. They were pretty awesome if I do say so myself.


Here is Izzy and Haley playing Temper Tantrum, they had to hold a pedometer in their hands and lay on the floor throwing a fit, and who ever had the most steps on their pedometer won. Izzy didn't, let's just say she wasn't the happiest camper for a while.


This was the Breakfast Scramble, they had to race to build a puzzle made of cereal boxes. Will and Addy were troopers.


Andrew and Landon were the Dizzy Mummy victims. They were doing the best they could to spin, but their partners didn't know how to give slack. Sarah and I eventually took over.


They don't really look like mummies, but they are dang cute little boys.


Separation Anxiety, the kids had to sort out the colors of a bag of Starburst. This was a good one for little kiddos. Mia killed this game. Look at her go, double handed.


Landon and Andrew again, playing Bucket Head. They had to catch ping pong balls in the bowl on their head. This is not easy considering the little girls throwing them. If this were an Olympic sport Landon would be competing.


Melissa did freeze dance and it was awesome. I love this age when they don't care how the look while they dance in front of groups of people. My friend Melody's little guy Hunter who is not even two, was killing it. We laughed so hard he would freeze every time the music stopped.


Melody had the kids decorate sugar cookies. This is always a hit with the kids. Jessica's little boy Eli, circled the table looking for an empty chair and then would jump up and eat whoever's cookie was sitting there. IT was hilarious.


Here's the crew. I will do my best to go from left to right: Back: Jack, Andrew, Dallin, Mia, Zoe and Will. Front: Addy, Landon, Izzy, Amelia, Claire, and Hunter. Not shown: Ellie, Levi, Jackson, and Haley.


Happy New Year! There's nothing better than Martinelli's Apple Cider when you are young.


Here are the mom's that rocked the New Year's party. Left to Right: Sarah, Tracy, Melissa, Mandy, Melody, and Sexy Jessica in front. I love these girls. I think I could have fun with them picking my nose. 

While the party was a hit, I have to admit I prefer an adult New Year Party. Christmas can be the kids holiday and New Year's can be the adults.

3 comments:

Laura said...

thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! likewise i love keeping up with you and yours. glad you went with the trampoline. money well invested i'm sure. your kids are good kids. glad you had such great holidays.

Peralta Family said...

Best night ever!

Peralta Family said...

Best night ever!