Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Who is Flash?

I absolutely love chick-flicks.  They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They make me feel oh so lucky to be in love. There are a very select few of these movies that Ryan will sit and watch with me. Fever Pitch is one of them. If you haven't seen this Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon flick, you need to check it out. Drew Barrymore is this smart business executive and she falls in love with Jimmy Fallon who is an obscene Red Sox Fan (hence Ryan's tolerance for the movie). In one scene Lindsey is preparing Ben to meet her parents. She begins to freak out because his closet only contains t-shirts and baseball jerseys, not a single thing she would want him to wear to meet her parents in. Out of frustration she turns to him and says, "This is not a man's closet, it's a boys closet. You're a Man-Boy."
What is a man boy? Well, I will inform you, because I am married to a Man-Boy.
1. They can grow a beard, but still laugh when someone in your ward has the last name Butt.
2. Instead of putting his last name on his softball jersey, they think they are clever to put the name "Deuce," knowing people will think it's because of the number 2 on his jersey. When really it means a bowl movement.
3.They are old enough to be the provider of a family, but thinks it's funny to pass gas on their posterity.

You get the picture right. Well my husband sealed the deal on his Man-Boy card while we were enrolling for our Costco membership a couple of weeks ago. While I stepped away to get the kids some berry smoothies, Ryan finished the application process without me. I returned just in time to take our pictures. The Costco employee handed Ryan his card and with a smirk on his face said, "It only took Flash." I looked at Ryan's card, it read "Flash Larsen." I assumed something was wrong with the machine, until I became very aware of my husband's body vibrating as he tried to control his laughter. "What did you do?" I asked. Turns out on the Costco application card allows you to fill in a nickname. Ryan filled in the blank with, Grand Master Flash. For those who don't know, he was one of the original rappers. So the shortened version on his card reads, "Flash Larsen." I shook my head and thought to myself, Man -Boy. By my reaction, he said he was glad he didn't fill in my nickname, which he wanted to be "Sweet Cheeks." I would have killed him. For a week Ryan walked around telling me I was jealous of his Costco card, and the kids thought it was the greatest thing ever. Occasionally, they will still call him Flash. The Boy, sometimes calls himself "Flash Junior." It didn't help when I wrote about said card on facebook, and everyone decided to remark on how awesome it was. His face was aglow.




Even though I shake my head, and tell him he is ridiculous, deep down I love that the guy can make me laugh. Over the years he has helped me to relax and made me not worry so much  what people think, and hopefully I've reigned him in a little, to create a good balance between us. I know that while we grow old together, I will never hurt for entertainment. I will secretly laugh at all of his jokes with a stern face. I hope that when people say, "That's rough," we will both look at each other and be thinking, "That's what she said," for the rest of our lives. I have to admit, even if I could create the perfect mate, he would still be a Man-Boy, because he just makes life fun.

3 comments:

Kristian said...

You guys are so awesome! Tracy and I strive to have a relationship like what you and Ryan have.

Glory Hoggz said...

Thanks Krisitian. By relationship like us do you mean, shopping for toilet paper and cleaning supplies on a Friday night or going to bed at nine on a Saturday night?

Unknown said...

I understand. I left my husband on his own and he ordered license plates that say HTWLZ (hotwheels).