Monday, July 26, 2010

We had an excellent weekend camping with our good friends the Kirk, Valerie, Milana, and Natalia Stolworthy. On the second day some friends of theirs the Hottinger's joined us. We camped at the beach about five miles north of Malibu.
It was so much fun, other than Ryan struggling to get the tent up, the kids feet being black at all times, and the slight sunburn I got on my arms. Really, though we had a great time.
The kids loved being at the beach 24 hours a day for three days. My kids are perfect campers. They sleep amazing in tents, they keep themselves entertained. They don't mind the dirt. Most of all they love camping food. I took them to Target and let them pick out whatever snacks they wanted. Their selection included granola bars, fruit snacks, grapes, cheese, crunch n munch, and a ginormous tub of cheese balls (disgusting).
Ryan and I's favorite part is when the kids go to bed and the adults sit around the campfire talking, or playing games, with nothing but the sound of the ocean behind us.
We spent a lot of time at the beach (obviously), tide pools, sand hill, and digging. Kirk and I helping the kiddos at the tide pools. Nothing super exciting that day. Just some sea snails, tiny fish, sea urchins, and a lot of shells.

Mia, Milana, and Issy digging in the sand. We had to put so much sunscreen on Mia's bald head.

The kiddos sitting on the back of the truck waiting patiently to go play on the beach, while Ryan and I take down the tent.


Mia eating some grapes. Allison working on dinner preperations while Kirk and Valerie stand around watching.

Landon loves to be burried in sand. The best is when he is burried like that and we offer him some really good treats and tell him he has to come and get them.


Landon, Isabel, and Olivia eating some hot dogs they roasted over the fire. Apparently everything is better when you cook it over a fire on a wire hanger.

Kirk was so nice, he tried to teach Landon how to skimboard. Now Landon wants one for Christmas.


Val and I watching the kids play in the sand. I know we look good for the second day of camping.


Look at my cute babies. It was really cold the first morning so this is them still bundled up.



Up the road from the campsite the side of the mountain is sand, that is PCH down below. Ryan and Kirk took the older kids to climb and slide down the hill, while Val and I stayed with the sleeping babies. Landon got some battle wounds from rocks hidden in the sand. Issy didn't like it because she got so sandy.

Ryan watching the seals out in the water. He actually ended up hauling that big piece of wood up to our campfire. It burned FOREVER!

11 comments:

Jennie said...

I so miss camping at the beach. So fun. It was fun seeing all the things your cute family is doing. I have a blog, but had to make it private because of creepy people looking at and making comments on my daughter's pictures. So if you want access, just send your email to my inbox on facebook.

Smullin Family said...

What a fun time!
I've never camped on a beach (near one, on the Oregon coast, but never ON one). Us Idahoans like to camp in mountains and pine trees. :)
Cute family pictures!

Smullin Family said...

PS- Love your new background!

Carmen said...

Do all the kids sleep well during these camping trips?! I soo love camping but am way to nervous to attempt it with Logan, maybe I will garner inspiration from you! :)

Natalie said...

So fun! I love how curly Izzy's hair looks in the back of the truck. Gotta love beach frizz. After camping ourselves I was thinking that we should have a Christmas in July every year with the Larsen's and go camping somewhere. How fun would that be? Especially since it's going to get harder to travel with kids during Christmas.

Mamma Meg said...

This looks like such a blast! I've never camped on the beach either. :( Sounds like Alisha and I need to make a trip out there to see you.

Ginger said...

Making family memories!Such fun for all..

kbrebes said...

I love your blog! Your pics look great and so do the kiddos. Glad you had a super time! : )

Lucy R said...

How fun! Our family needs to go camping again...the kids always have fun. Maybe our families could go together sometime. We like to camp at Malibu Creek Canyon Park (although I don't think we will do it in November again since we almost froze last time).

Rushele said...

How fun!! I wanna go camping on the beach!
Glad your kids are so good too, that's awesome!

Jamie Hyatt said...

Talk about a camping trip! That looks like so much fun! I can't even imagine camping next to the beach, my kids would love that. Glad you had such a great time - and I'm so glad you're putting posts up!