Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Soccer Finale

         To put your kids in sports or not to put your kids in sports that is the question... for most. Not for us. We have always known our kids would be actively involved in sports. Ryan and I both played sports and we think it teaches kids discipline, commitment, hard work, teamwork, losing with dignity, and it gets them off the couch and making friends. Plus, kids that are actively involved in sports are less likely to get in trouble. That's enough for me.
        We put Izzy in soccer when she was five and the child had a natural gift we had been unaware of previously. She can play defense or offense and is really good.... when she chooses to be. She has now played four seasons and attended a UK soccer camp (she didn't go to the UK, their coaches came here.) We were worried she wasn't going to get to play this year, because sign ups were long over by the time we knew we were going to be in Visalia. She got put on a wait list and then their ended up being seven girls on that list and Pink Lightening was created. These little misfits ended up being phenomenal. They lost two games (I won't mention that it was the two games we missed :)), tied one, and won every other game. The girls on the team worked so well together and ended up being really good friends. The coaches were amazing. We went from buzz ball players on the first practice, to passing and playing positions. The parents were awesome we all got along and had so much fun cheering on our girls.
    Three things that made soccer even more awesome this season than past seasons were, one, Target started making really cute knee socks that we could use as soccer socks. She was a little fashionista at practice. A new sports bottle that they can drink out of and also sprays their face. The girls would sit around spraying each other during practice until they were saturated. Three, the soccer facility in Visalia is phenomenal. It is enormous, well kept grass, the fields are lined with sequoias, and real bathrooms instead of portable potties.
     The end of the season is so bitter sweet. On the one hand you are glad to have your Saturdays back. No running to practice during the week. And no searching for cleats and a ball on Saturday morning. On the flip side, I miss this family outing, supporting one of our own. I love cheering the girls on, not just mine, but all of them.  Plus I love watching my children developing their skills. I'm sad that it's over. Our free time won't last for long though. One of the other player's dad is a girls softball coach and wants Izzy to play. Izzy is thrilled she has wanted to play softball for a while, but I steered her toward tennis for her off soccer season sport. This dad is so great, and wants to teach Izzy to pitch so I guess we will give it a whirl. We are also going to let Landon take a break from swimming to play a baseball season.Hopefully that goes well since he only ever played one season of t-ball before he started swimming year around.


This was Izzy's second season in pink. Every girl's dream.

Team pictures, minus one. I think it's impossible to get them all posed for the camera.

Snack time is always fun.

One of Izzy's three goals in her final game of the season.

And another. Yes, I'm a proud Mama, but it's my blog so I can brag all I want.

End of season soccer party. The team (minus one). We are so sad to say goodbye to these people that have become our weekend family.
Izzy and her good friend Lilly, who is also in her class at school.
Izzy looking super excited over her trophy- not really

No comments: